Is a Canadian Rocky Mountain wedding right for you? With renown picturesque beauty, arguably there’s nothing more beautiful or romantic than a wedding in the Rocky Mountains. Whether you’re contemplating an elegant, luxurious affair or a more serene, outdoor wedding there’s something for everyone. Think gorgeous mountain backdrops, world class food, accommodations, spas, golf and ski resorts, and the promise of adventure. Sounds magical right? Keep in mind perfect weddings don’t just happen. There are several important factors to keep in mind when planning a rocky mountain wedding.
Unless you’re fortunate enough to call the Rocky Mountains home, mountain weddings are destination weddings. Destination weddings can be more complicated than a wedding at home, and require a clear game plan. Here are some things to consider.
- From hiring local wedding professionals, to traveling, a destination wedding takes more work. A local planner can be your greatest asset in securing caterers, florists, photographers, and other local vendors. Fortunately, local planner Naturally Chic knows the area and the best local vendors. They will assist you in finding the perfect outdoor ceremony location and reception venue that is suited to your style and budget. They will also let you know what permits you require.
2. A destination wedding means travel and accommodation expenses for you and your guests. Many of your guests will welcome a “mini- vacation” however, it’s a good idea to offer hotel and activity options for your guests at various price points. Block booking of hotel rooms is a good way to get a great deal for your guests. Keep in mind that it’s best to make arrangements well in advance. The mountains are a popular tourist destination and accommodations book up quickly. It’s also helpful to provide your guests a welcome package complete with maps, driving directions, places to eat. As well, information on activities and events happening in the area on the weekend of your Canadian Rocky Mountain wedding is helpful.
3. If your wedding is taking place within a Canadian National Park, your guests will also require a Park Pass. Make sure you and your guests allow extra time to get through Park gates as sometimes they can be quite busy! You wouldn’t want your guests to miss your ceremony!
4. National Parks have strict guidelines for outdoor weddings in the pristine mountain areas. Most outdoor areas in Banff National Park, require you to have no more than 25 guests, so as not to adversely impact the environment. You may not be permitted to set up chairs for your ceremony. Usually you can only set up one or two chairs for the elderly unless you are at a designated ceremony site. Fortunately, most mountain venues have gorgeous mountain views right on site.
5. If you’re contemplating a wedding in the mountains, you might be thinking about having an outdoor ceremony. Be prepared for anything! Mountain weather can be extremely unpredictable and often changes suddenly. Make sure your guests know the ceremony will be outdoors, and let them know to wear comfortable shoes and clothing. Dressing in layers is always a good idea! You should also have a “Plan B”, or indoor backup plan. Be aware that you usually have to make a ‘weather call’ well in advance. Allow plenty of time for decor set up, especially if your reception is in the same room as the ceremony and needs to be reconfigured. Whatever your decisions, stay positive. Keep your sense of humor and remain flexible. What’s important is that you’re getting married surrounded by your loved ones.
6. Stock up on plenty of sunblock, bug spray, umbrellas and water for you and your guests if you are planning on being outside in the mountains for any length of time.
Bonus: Currently, vactioning in Canada is a great deal if you are traveling from the USA, UK or Australia! Your currency will go a lot further here!
With a thoughtful approach and extra planning, a Canadian rocky mountain wedding can be a unique, unforgettable experience for everyone! You may even have some interesting ‘wedding crashers’.
If you are contemplating a Banff wedding, Lake Louise wedding or a wedding anywhere in the Canadian Rocky Mountains, Naturally Chic would love to hear from you! Contact us at at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.