Posted by Sharon Auld
Every year I like to do some kind of holiday post. This year, I came up with the idea of Christmas Eve Traditions for couples. I think it’s really meaningful for couples to take time out of their busy schedules to reconnect as a couple over the busy holiday season. Incorporating special traditions that you do together as a couple is a great way to not only spend this Christmas but to also carry out for many Christmases to come. I came up with 15 ideas for couples, but there are so many other ideas to try! It’s all about finding ones, that work for you as a couple!
This year, I approached Canadian Rocky Mountain Resorts about shooting this feature at their amazing Calgary venue, The Lake House. It’s a lovely, contemporary restaurant, with great food and a modern, rustic vibe (which I love!). I’ve been patiently waiting for my opportunity to plan a wedding there and doing a shoot there is an absolute treat for me! We were also lucky enough to spend time at CRMR’s quintessential mountain lodge in Banff, Buffalo Mountain Lodge.
I enlisted the help of Tara Whittaker Photography, to photograph the inspirations I envisioned for this shoot. Together we asked a few friends to model for the shoot. After that, it was coming up with a pictorial representation of the traditions I envisioned. With the help of Adorn Boutique and Ed Williams Menswear, we were able to outfit our models and the plan came to life on our collaboration!
You can read all about this Holiday Inspired Shoot on my sister blog, Canadian Mountain Chic. Here today is a wrap up of the full feature on CMC. The CMC feature is loaded with ideas and inspiration and is featured in three parts: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3. Be sure to check it out too!
Christmas Eve Traditions for Couples
- Share a Holiday Cocktail at your favorite lounge to kick off your evening. Our couple chose the Bar C Restaurant and Lounge on 17th Avenue in Calgary.
2. Dinner for Two While dinner at home together is wonderful, a night out together is really special! Our couple went to the beautiful, contemporary restaurant, The Lake House in Calgary’s southeast.
3. Exchange a Small Gift. As children, Christmas is full of anticipation and wonder, bring out your inner child and exchange a small gift on Christmas Eve.
4. Go Skating Outdoors. Any outdoor activity in the snow would be fun (building a snowman, skiing etc.), but skating on a frozen pond at Christmastime is really romantic.
5. A Romantic Sleigh Ride. What could be romantic on Christmas Eve than a horse-drawn sleigh ride through a wintry landscape? Banff Trail Riders at the Warner Stables in Banff will take you on a sleigh ride through breathtaking scenery, and they’ll even stop for hot chocolate and smores!
6. Go Window Shopping Together in Banff. The mountain town of Banff is a great place to not only spend your holidays but to also go window shopping for the day. The streets are lined with iconic Canadian brand stores such as Roots, The Hudson Bay, Beaver Tails and more, and is also full of unique shops, candy stores, and fudgeries!
7. Choose a Christmas Ornament Together.
Each year, choose a special ornament that in some way represents your year together, or is meaningful to you in some way. Over the years you’ll amass your own special collection of ornaments to treasure and perhaps pass on to your own children one day!
8. Mountain Getaway for Romance! Escaping to the mountains is always a good idea! Spend your Christmas at a romantic mountain lodge. You can board all day and then curl up under the mistletoe later on!
9. Dinner for Two at a Cozy Mountain Lodge. Skip the holiday preparation and fuss, and have your holiday dinner served up for two. All you have to do is sit back, enjoy and toast the season together!
10. Watch a Holiday Movie together. Relax and enjoy a stress-free evening watching one of your favorite holiday flicks!
11. Love Letters Wine Box. This is such a romantic holiday tradition to start! You simply write a note to your partner telling them how special they are and what they mean to you!
A fun twist is to seal your love letters in a wood box with a bottle of wine. Then, you take the letters out and read them on the following Christmas over a bottle of bubbly. It’s a great way to reminisce the year that was and to express your heartfelt appreciation for one another!
12. Exchange a Holiday Stocking. Items don’t have to be expensive! Have fun filling a stocking for each other and then opening all the little treasures the night before Christmas!
13. Enjoy the Holiday Light Displays together! Whether you walk through your neighborhood or explore the city lights, enjoying the holiday lights is a great tradition to revel in the beauty of the season.
14. Enjoy a Special Holiday Presentation together such as the Nutcracker. What could be more Christmasey!
15. Take a Holiday selfie every year (and make it into an ornament to hang it on the tree) to commemorate your Christmases together.
Thank you so much for stopping by! We hope you enjoyed our version of Christmas Eve Traditions for Couples! We’d love to hear from you! Do you have a special holiday tradition?
Sharon | Naturally Chic
Shoot Concept Idea & Design: Naturally Chic; Photographer: Tara Whittaker Photography; Designer + Stylist: Naturally Chic teamed up with CRMR and their properties The Lake House, and Bar C Restaurant and Lounge, along with Adorn Boutique (ladies fashion) and Ed Williams Menswear (gentleman’s fashion) for this inspirational shoot. With Flower Arrangement provided by Flowers by Janie; Hair and Makeup Artist: Brooke from Diva Salon Spa , Wood slice: Naturally Chic, Models: Shannon & Tyler, and a special thank you to Pamela Bigg and Lauren Webb from CRMR!
Mrs tee custom design by Adorn Boutique.
Razor & Shaving mug Kent of Inglewood.
Macarons by Yann Haute Patisserie.
Mini Champagne: Kensington Wine Market.
Carry-on Cocktail Kit by W&P Design, available at The Uncommons.
Wool Socks, Peppermint Patties, Maple Mint Tin, Maple Syrup: Roots.